Closing Date: 20 August 2019
Salary: R 129 121.08 pa (Post Level T6 of a Grade 4 Municipality)
- Grade 12
- Valid Code EC1 driver’s license & PDP.
- Good human relations, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to give attention to detail.
- After successful completion of a physical fitness assessment applicants will be invited for an interview.
- Work shifts which include weekends and public holidays.
- Must perform duties in the whole municipal area when required.
- Must work overtime and be flexible to work overtime on short notice.
- Fluent in at least 2 of the 3 languages spoken in the Western Cape, Afrikaans, English or IsiXhosa.
- Responding to emergency calls within prescribed reaction times.
- Dressing with the appropriate firefighting protective clothing.
- Mounting allocated emergency vehicle as crew.
- Performing specific firefighting and fire suppression activities including laying hose lines, pulling working lines, holding the nozzle to direct the stream of water on the fire, placing, raising, lowering and climbing ladders, using self-contained breathing apparatus, etc.
- Making forced entries into grounds or buildings by climbing walls or fences, cut locks, chains, hasps and bolts to gain entry to locked areas, breaks or cuts doors, windows, walls or roofs using hand and power tools.
- Performing rescue activates including rope rescue, water rescue, confined space rescue, structural collapse entry situations. Rescue and forcible
- Administering first aid medical care to level of certification.
- Operating aerial ladders, tower ladders or similar equipment and generators, hydraulic rescue equipment and lighting. Participating in public fire education and demonstrations. Fire awareness
- Reporting all defects to the immediate superior.
- Performing routine hose repairs on specialized firefighting hoses.
- Performing scheduled testing on regulated equipment.
- Performing visual inspection of vehicles and equipment as per manufacturer's instructions, safety regulations, codes and standard operational procedures, using check or maintenance lists and signing or co-signing inspection schedule for accountability.
- Checking for cracks, leaks, malfunctions, discrepancies, replacing seals and patching leaks, repairing springs and replacing batteries, using specific equipment (air compressor, hand held tools, etc.).
- Collecting and handing in of relevant records to the immediate superior for record-keeping.
- Maintaining the fire station and grounds by participating in routine cleaning schedules.
- Completing and filling in forms, checklists and inventories.
- Signing vehicle and equipment inventory forms, test and checklists.
- Recording results of tests and equipment evaluations on prescribed forms and forward to the immediate superior for attention and processing.
- Completing the defect register and log sheets, etc.
- Conducting pre-driving inspections
Learner Fire Fighter (94.51KB)
Last published 08 August 2019